Tuesday, May 15, 2007

XSS vs. Cable Monolith

What can I say, disatisfaction led to curiosity that lead to this vulnerability...

The company's name is not disclosed to avoid any legal issues... and due to laziness of writing my own disclaimer... Well at least I wrote this shit...

One day I received a snail mail from a my Cable TV provider that states a price increase in subscription.

Extra 35 bucks was added to my already unreasonable subscription fee. It's stated in the mail that it was for service upgrades and such. Bullshit!

Thanks to my Groups (Yahoo and Gmail), I received an email from other subscribers about the petition against the cable monolith on PetitionOnline.com (It should still be there as it's on Top 5 of the week). Some comments from the signers are hilarious (but still heartfelt disatisfaction).

Checking out their website to view any acceptable reason for the price hike, I noticed a small vulnerability that could lead to... you know? eherm...

Found a search function in the script that requires the parameters (strText, searchType) which ofcourse, strText is a string and searchType is 0/1.

Anyway I inserted an alert script in the search parameter to test if simple XSS will work... there it is...

XSS starts there... the rest is up to you...

Example: search.asp?strText=<"Your Script Here">&searchType=1

If you are staying where I am now... you probably know who that cable monolith... And you probably know by now how far XSS can penetrate... and it won't be long... till I update my next blog with a new findings...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

: [url=http://www.frenchtv.to]FrenchTV [/url]
FrenchTV la Tv francaise sans frontière, toute la TNT enfin disponible a votre fuseaux horaire.